Can you read to a newborn? Yes! It is never too early to start reading to your baby. Reading is a great way activity for bonding with your baby, and can have positive effects on cognition and development. Many of the recommendations below are also books that your child can continue to use well into their toddler years, and are a great investment.
If you are wondering, “What are the baby book classics?” Well, here are the best baby books for your little one’s first year of life:
1) The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Let’s Count Book is a great infant book for so many reasons. First of all, it is a cloth baby book so your baby won’t accidentally poke themselves in the eye with it. It also has a soft teething toy attached that your baby can use as a teether. The pages also crinkle, so your newborn will really love to touch and interact with this book. Finally, it goes over a numbers, which are a great basic thing your baby can start to learn in their first year of life. It is also machine washable & BPA Free.
2) Another cloth book favorite is Peek-A-Boo Forest. This fun and colorful cloth book is interactive and also has crinkle pages. This book is great as a starter book and also will grow with your child. Beginning with learning how to play peek-a-boo to actually learning the animals, this is a very popular book for ages 0 to 2. It is also washable making it super easy to clean.
3) One of the best board books for babies is Dear Zoo. This lift and reveal board book is one of the classic baby books that also makes reading playful and interactive.
4) Another great infant book is That’s Not My Puppy. This book has different textures on each page that your child can touch and feel. If your baby likes this book, there are several others in the series as well that you can get later on.
5) The Llama Llama series is a great baby board book that helps your newborn learn how to turn pages. As they grow older, your infant and toddler will continue to enjoy this series as it will help them learn how to speak and read. A nice way to get introduced to the series is by getting the Llama Llama Little Library which has 4 of the most popular books in the series. If you child seems to gravitate towards it, you can buy more of the books including ones that talk about the different holidays like Halloween and Valentine’s Day.
Best Books For Infant Stage: Take Home Points
It is never too early to start reading to your newborn. In a world full of devices and screens, get your child into the habit of reading early. Make sure you have some baby books to start reading to your baby in their first month of life. Reading to your newborn is one of the most beneficial things you can do for their cognitive and language development. Additionally, they will learn some fine motor skills by learning how to hold books and turn the pages. And of course, reading to your baby is an amazing way to bond with your child. Happy reading!
Piccolo LDR, Weisleder A, Oliveira JBA, Mazzuchelli DSR, Lopez AS, Neto WD, Cates CB, Mendelsohn AL. Reading Aloud, Self-Regulation, and Early Language and Cognitive Development in Northern Brazil. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2022 Feb-Mar 01;43(2):e70-e78.
Needlman R. Reading Aloud to Newborns. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2018 Jan;39(1):79-80.
We discuss products we think are useful to people. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. Remember to check with your personal physician to see if a product recommended is right for you.