Looking for a healthy overnight oats recipe? Well, you have come to the right place. The key to having healthy overnight oats is to limit what you put in them and also use high-quality ingredients. Because overnight oats can be a mix of different things, it’s easy for them to go from something that looks like a healthy breakfast to something that resembles more of a dessert. Use fruits like berries that have a low glycemic index and avoid adding things like maple syrup on top. Here’s one of the best recipes for overnight oats:
Steel Cut Overnight Oats
Steel cut overnight oats are great because it means that you are starting off your healthy overnight oats recipe with high quality ingredients. Steel cut oats are the least processed type of oat.
- One third cup steel cut oats. (We love these steel cut oats because they also have flax seed mixed into them to add to the protein in your overnight oats)
- Dash of cinammon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Half a tablespoon of peanut butter
- ½ cup skim milk or vanilla-flavored almond milk
- One-third cup blueberries or raspberries- blended or cut
- Use a 8 oz glass to mix the oats, the cinnamon, the chia seeds, the milk, and the peanut butter.
- Add the blueberries or raspberries on top. You can also blend these and mix into the oats if you want to add some sweetness to the entire recipe.
- Place a lid on the mason jar and refrigerate overnight. You only need 2 to 3 hours for the oats to soak up the liquid and become ready to eat, but doing it overnight is easier.
- Grab and go in the morning on your way out the door!
This healthy overnight oats recipe is a great way of making breakfast without having to cook. Rather than making oatmeal in the microwave, which can affect some of the nutrients, the oatmeal is soaked in the liquid mixture. The steel cut oats then absorb the liquid which makes them much softer and easier to eat and digest.
Related: Ozempic For Weight Loss
So, why do we consider this one of the best recipes for overnight oats?
1) Protein – Chia and flax seed both have a ton of protein and are easy to eat when mixed with other ingredients. One serving of dried chia seeds is about 2.5 tablespoons, which has about 140 calories and 5 grams of protein.
2) Fiber – Steel cut oats and chia seeds are also rich in fiber. Fiber is great for your heart, your gut, and makes you feel full longer. This can help with weight loss also. Diets high in fiber can also help to lower cholesterol, and can protect against colorectal cancer. 2 tablespoons of chia seeds as mentioned in the recipe above has about 8 grams of fiber.
3) Low glycemic index – Blueberries are a great way to add some sweetness without adding too much sugar. Avoid fruits like bananas and mangoes if you are really going for healthy overnight oats.
4) Easy and quick – If you are on the go, this is a great way to get something healthy and filling before you run out the door.
Feel free to make this recipe your own by substituting different healthy ingredients of your choice.
We discuss products we think are useful to people. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. Remember to check with your personal physician to see if a product recommended is right for you.